Sunday, October 4, 2009

Adventures at the Library

Tiny Daughter M and I went to the library today. I've been wanting to read Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book for a while now, but decided to wait for October for the right mood setting. I knew it was written for children, but I enjoyed Coraline. When The Graveyard Book started winning every genre award around, including the Hugo, I felt like it might be worth my time.

So today at the library, I couldn't find it on the shelf in the young adult section even when the computer said they had two available copies. After consulting the children's librarian, she took us back to the juvenile section where the two copies were shelved. I was pretty sure I knew, but I asked why the different shelving areas and she replied that the juvenile section was for 3rd - 8th graders.

At this point, I chose not to inform her that the book was for me. I just thanked her and walked away. At least Tiny Daughter M was there as cover story for me. Then we went upstairs and harassed my high school English teacher who now works as a librarian.

3 comments:

  1. It's a great book. Not that I'm entirely unbiased; I'm a Gaiman fan (and have even used material from American Gods as a reading for a service... where the sermon was wrapped around (but not really about) A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy).

    I'm delighted that it's being made available to younger kids--I'd have eaten it up in 4th or 5th grade, I'm sure. But I'm sad that it's not also available as a book for older kids and adults. It's not written "down," and it's accessible and entertaining for older readers without feeling like it's kiddie lit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YA is a great genre that has EXPLODED in the last 10 years. Considering we only had Judy Blume (who I loved) I think we have a right to read whatever is coming out now... or at least we should read it all without being shamed. Lucky for me my local librarians are ALL about YA! - And I am SO checking out The Graveyard Book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to look for that (for my daughter that is.....)

    ReplyDelete