Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Feministing & Religious Institutions

There is a lot of food for thought in this post from Feministing on how to view religious institutions which advocate political positions and their members. She makes several interesting points, but this really stood out to me.

And I wonder what society would be like if folks like my friend defended my right to not be burdened by the laws of someone else’s church with as much passion as they defend the rights of religious institutions to advocate for public policy that plants their dogma on my neck.

But maybe that's just the week I'm having. The bigger question is do we hold believers responsible for the teachings of their religious institutions if they choose to stay? I've been on both sides of that question and I lean towards "yes", but you can easily make the other arguement. Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment