Saturday, June 13, 2009

Cakes For the Queen of Heaven

Thursday night I started the Cakes For the Queen of Heaven class at the AUUF. This summer they are doing the second half of the program so I will look forward to getting the first half next summer.

Most of the material in this first session was review to me since I have read up on ancient goddesses before, but I enjoyed being able to discuss it with other women. Rather than just talking about the goddesses themselves, we dealt with how growing up with patriarchal religions had affected us personally and what kind of future we could foresee that makes room for the sacred feminine. That isn't a subject I really get to explore with people very often so it was good.

I've been thinking a lot about Asherah and the bum rap she gets in the Old Testament over the last few days. When I realized that all of those stories about Baal and his idols were probably much more about Asherah and her Baal, it made me feel like maybe I had been rooting for the wrong side. I have viewed the Old Testament in a whole different light since I learned about Canaanite goddesses a few years ago. I have so much more sympathy and even sadness for those who were struck down or otherwise punished for following other gods.

I may have to miss the class on the Virgin Mary due to a kid-sized conflict, but I'm looking forward to the rest of the class

No comments:

Post a Comment