Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Choosing Chanting

I've started to incorporate chanting into my meditations. So far, I've been using a couple of the most famous Buddhist mantra. So far, the chanting has been much easier for me than simple breathing meditation. I realize that easiness may not be the ideal trait for choosing spiritual practices, but I've been enjoying it. It hasn't changed my whole life or anything, but I've been doing it for the past five mornings and I haven't had a bad morning since and that says a lot.

Any other chanters out there? What works for you? What are you focusing on while chanting? Any fantastic mantra to recommend? I'd be particularly interested in goddess-themed chants, but I would be intrigued to hear what works for you. Do you prefer to chant in English (or your native tongue) or in Sanskrit, Japanese, etc.? This whole practice couldn't be more antithetical to my previous experience and background so I would really love to hear what, if anything, works for other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment